19.10.08

Down Syndrome Awareness Month

I have been meaning to post this since the begining of the month and have had so many other fun pictures that I've forgotten.
This month is Down Syndrome Awareness month and I just wanted to share with everyone my favorite poem! A nurse brought this poem to Nick and I the night of Lincoln's heart surgery on Dec. 19th 2006. I have it hanging in his room and it is a friendly reiminder about life.
Lincoln is the best gift ever. As well as Lucy and every other child we are going to have! Lincoln has made me realize LOTS in life and he's only 2 years old. He is here for a reason and I couldn't be happier. I think I am speaking for my family and friends as well.
He has already brought so much laughter and joy into our lives.
Lincoln has touched each person's life and will continue to do so.
Just a few pictures of the little guy and then the poem!
















"Welcome to Holland"
By Emily Perl Kingsley, 1987. All rights reserved.

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away...because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss. But...if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.

4 comments:

Football and Fried Rice said...

I love it. Made me cry!! it is so very beautiful. Thanks for sharing your heart & your wisdom!!

sweetander said...

Beautiful poem. I still remember how devastating it was finding out that Lincoln was going to have Down Syndrome, but what a gift he's been. Not always easy or what you planned, but a precious gift. I can't wait until you get home and I get to meet him all over again. Austin and Lincoln now have little personalities of their own...can't wait to get together over Christmas and watch them play!!!!

Lisa said...

Oh, sweet girl, it is no mistake for Lincoln to have Downs Syndrome...it is Gods plan! There has been so much growth in your life since the news and such a sweet precious beautiful little boy! You have been chosen and blessed by God with Lincoln! love ya girl

Lisa said...

i cried when i read your blog quote. you don't choose your family, God chooses them for you and you for them. I am just so glad God chooses the gender, the needs, the specific child;etc, who knows better?
I'm encouraged to wait a little longer for our unknown baby in Ethiopia. UR great Molly and your family is perfect, just perfect.

Happy Halloween

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Well I am a mother of 2 kiddos. Lucy is 4 and Lincoln is 2. They are on the go ALL the time. By time Nick gets home from work, I am ready for bed. We are here in Germany for a year with Nick's work. It's going well. I am trying to enjoy the time we have here. There is so much to see and do and so much to take in. I thought I would do this blog so everyone could take a minute to see how we are!